Sunday, August 30, 2009

"modding" early on

My first modifications, like many done by a young car owner really weren't improvements, but took the car in the wrong direction. On day one, I had added the 17", 42 pound wheels from my previous car, which I thought looked great, but anyone who knows been around these cars for awhile knows heavy wheels on a Miata are like a prisoner's ball and chain. Pretty soon, I did some other silly modifications, like replacing the passengers airbag with a Playstation 2 and a stereo headunit with a 6" flip out TV screen, and adding an eclipse DVC titanium 10 inch subwoofer and around 1000 watts of amplication. I also got a really crappy looking pair of "altezza" style chrome tail lights, a ridiculous looking rear spoiler, and finally some e-bay sourced coilovers on my stock shocks knocking the car into the ground. There was one good modification I had sense to add, a hard dog, double diagaonal roll bar. I thought this was all cool until sometime in 2002, when I made my first group mountain run up into the North Georgia mountans with about six or seven locals. It was during this trip, that I really learned how bad the poor wheels and tires were slowing me down. I also realized how ridculous my aluminum wing looked. I wanted the car to handle better, as well go faster. It was time for a change.


Playstation and Eclipse 7002 in the dash, well it was cool then.
This one shows the Hard Dog Roll bar, the only Decent mod that remains currently
A few red bits and an air filter don't hurt either, I guess..


No comments:

Post a Comment