Sunday, August 30, 2009

How it all started...

In the Winter of 2001 I had just started my second year of college. I had what I thought was a very cool 1992 Saturn SC which I had purchased a few years prior for a steal from an auto auction. Despite the fact that the odometer had stopped turning at 150,000 miles, it was still running good enough to run a 16.0 flat quarter mile on heavy 17" wheels, with a aftermarket muffler and a custom cold air intake, and a few other cosmetic modifications. The car really was not aging well and was starting to fall apart at approximately 180,000 miles. One day, on my way to school it all came to an end. I was sitting at a red light and was rear ended by a Ford F-150 truck, which shortened the car about 16 inches, rendering it a total loss. With duct tape keeping what was left of the rear of the car together I continued to drive it for about a week while in negotiations with the insurance company. Once I had the very nice settlement in my hand (far more than I had invested in the poor Saturn) I knew what I wanted, a simple, lightweight two seat convertible around $10k that was easy at the pump and fun to drive back and forth on my long commute to school and work... and the Miata fit the bill nicely. After one test drive I was hooked, and soon found myself driving home from the dealership a beautiful Brilliant black 1997 Miata with the Popular equipment and leather package for $224/month after my down payment. Pretty sweet ride for a kid bringing home $9/hr.

No comments:

Post a Comment